This model represents the prototype when based at Norwich in mid-1952, a few weeks after returning from an overhaul at Stratford, hence the relatively clean condition of the paintwork. Photographs taken of the loco during the 1950s usually show her in a very grubby condition. Several factors have been incorporated into the build to reinforce the date portrayed, including the early position of the smokebox numberplate and the shedplates, which were both moved in the middle of the decade.
No. 65471 has AGH cast iron wheels and is powered through an ABC gearbox. Brass investment castings and cosmetic Stephenson’s Link motion with the characteristic GER single wide slide bars complete the loco.